Blanco State Park
Do you have any new information, corrections, photos, or more about this entry? Contact us today to help record Blanco's history.
Blanco State Park is a little over 104 acres along the Blanco River, inside the Blanco city limits. According to Texas Parks and Wildlife, the park area was used as a campsite by early explorers and settlers; a spring in this area made the location ideal when the river was dry.
The land was donated by private owners in 1933, developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.), and opened in 1934. The park was redeveloped in 1982 to include more picnic areas and allow more people to use the park. Access to the park is from US Highway 281, south of the courthouse square.
Activities include camping, swimming, picnicking, hiking, nature study, boating (electric motors only), kayaking, and fishing. Annual events include the Blanco Classic Car Show on the third Saturday in May. Facilities include restrooms (one with showers), RV campsites, cabins, group picnic areas, a pavilion, playgrounds, and a nature trail.
The Ira Caswell Nature Trail, a 3/4-mile loop trail, is for hiking or nature study; a self-guided booklet will be available for a small fee at the Texas State Park Store. The state park connects to the Bindseil City Park, and the town square, on the northeast side of the park.
Families that donated land for Blanco State Park are J.C. and Mary Dodgen, Ed and Nora Byler, T. J. and Minnie Byler, J.M. and Jessie Harmon, Mary Reeve, William Benson and Sarah West, Loyd West, A.J and Olga Weber, B.B. and Dovie Barker, A.W. and Lola Koch, Charles Koch, Henry and Mandy Richardson, Herman and Clara Knoll, John F. and Anna Petsch, Nim and Ella Smith, Curt and Alice Liesmann, F.A. and May Lindeman, Blanco National Bank.
When first opened, the state park's entrance was on 4th St., which was the highway at the time, just two blocks east of the courthouse square. A cafe, which is now used as a maintenance building for the park, was at the entrance. US Highway 281 now continues south through the square and the current state park entrance is on Park Road 23 where the highway bends south.