City of Blanco
Do you have any new information, corrections, photos, or more about this entry? Contact us today to help record Blanco's history.
The Blanco area was first settled in 1853 by Texas Ranger James Hughes Callahan, Eli Clemens Hinds, and their families. Captain James Callahan had first visited the Blanco Valley years earlier and decided to return to the area. The pioneers built homes along the Blanco River and, in 1854, formed the Pittsburg Land Company with General John D. Pitts and others.
The company laid out the town of Pittsburg across the Blanco River from present-day Blanco. When Blanco County was formed in 1858, about 120 acres of land left to the Land Company in Captain James Callahan’s will was used to establish the city of Blanco for the county’s seat.
The historic courthouse on the town square, the third courthouse built in town, was completed in 1886. The creation of new counties south of Blanco changed the shape of this county. The courthouse served only four years as the courthouse before an election moved the county seat to the more central Johnson City in 1890.
Blanco is primarily a farming and ranching town. Cotton and sheep were first brought in by Eli Hinds. As with many small towns, tourism has become a major part of the economy. Thanks to the local climate, lavender grows well and Blanco is host to the official lavender festival of Texas.
The town square, and the Old Blanco County Courthouse, form the center of town and a perfect place to walk around.